It makes good sense to do this, because so many plumbing problems can be avoided with a little discipline. And any time you avoid a plumbing problem, you’re keeping your own money in your own pocket. These aren’t hard to do, but they do require you to make an honest effort, so let’s dig in with this year’s list of plumbing resolutions!
1. Schedule a check up with a qualified plumber like Cass Plumbing. If you’ve gone five years or more without having a plumbing inspection in your Tampa property, you’re probably running on borrowed time. Cass Plumbing will come out and do a safety inspection of your plumbing system from top to bottom. We’ll even flush your hot water tank as part of our plumbing evaluation, something that should be done every year. By the way, a plumbing inspection for an elderly relative makes a great gift and can give them a lot of peace of mind throughout 2021.
2. Stop abusing your toilet. About the only thing you should be flushing down the toilet is toilet paper. Anything else can cause clogs, especially baby wipes, floss, Q-tips and sanitary products. Dispose of these in the trash can rather than flush them down the toilet. A clogged toilet is almost always avoidable, so make sure to properly dispose of materials other than toilet paper.
3. Get a battery backup for your sump pump. This past year we set a record for sump pumps sales and installation. A flooded basement is a nightmare, one that’s often caused by a power failure. Don’t let your sump pump quit just because the power went off. A battery backup will keep your pump working through a storm, which in turn will help keep your basement from flooding.
4. Watch what goes into your garbage disposal. Fats, oils and fibrous foods like celery, corn husks and onions can play havoc with your disposal. Be sure to always run cold water when the disposal is in use. Keep bones and anything not biodegradable out of it entirely. If you’re not sure if your disposal can handle something, play it safe and throw it away.
5. Insulate your pipes. The temperature change can effect your pipes. Yes, even in Tampa. We see it all the time! You can buy plumbing insulation at any big box home improvement store or at your local Tampa hardware store. It’s inexpensive and easy to install, and it’s worth your time to get this done.
There are plenty of other things you can do to keep your plumbing in tip-top shape, but these are a good start. Do these and chances are you’ll enjoy the year of 2021 with trouble-free plumbing.
When you need a good plumber in Tampa, to get your plumbing in shape for 2021 give us a call. Cass Plumbing has thousands of 5 star reviews online, is ranked #1 by Best Plumbers for the Tampa Bay region and has earned an A+ rating by the Tampa Bay Better Business Bureau. Get in touch today with us today at (813) 265-9200.