For most homeowners in the Tampa region, calling a professional, Florida licensed plumber is the obvious thing to do when they have a plumbing emergency. There are other plumbing situations, however, when people tend to underestimate the importance of hiring a licensed plumber. Calling a licensed plumber is almost always the wisest and cheapest choice in the long run.
Professional Plumbing Service
Often, the desire to save a few bucks will prompt a homeowner to call a handyman or a friend who “knows a little something about plumbing” when they have a minor, non-emergency plumbing issue. This may look like a cost-effective solution on the surface, but there are several potential pitfalls.
- First and foremost, a professional plumber is much more experienced than a handyman or hobbyist. Here in Tampa, the requirements to become a journeyman plumber include thousands of hours of active employment as an apprentice. A handyman, by definition, is a generalist and simply does not have the focused training and practical experience of a licensed, professional plumber.
- Most average handymen don’t know all of the current plumbing code requirements, and don’t know which plumbing fixture brands provide the best overall value. Their recommendations could result in further costly repairs, or potentially affect the resale value of your home.
- Lastly, if something does go wrong, is your handyman, or buddy that knows a little something about plumbing insured? Will he stand behind his work? When you consider the potential costs associated with water damage repair and mold remediation, the risks associated with hiring a handyman are far greater than any upfront savings.
Often overlooked, there are three other times you should consider hiring a licensed plumber in Tampa:
- Before you invest in a new home
- If you’ve never had a full plumbing inspection of your existing home
- You notice small, subtle changes in your home’s plumbing system
Home inspections are a common part of buying a new home in the Tampa region. A home inspector, like a handyman, needs to have a broad skill set. Often there are small clues that suggest larger problems, and they might overlook something that a licensed plumber would catch. Knowing about a major plumbing problem up front gives you leverage during the real estate negotiation process, and might ultimately affect the cost of your investment & your final overall decision if the issues are severe enough.
If you’ve never had a full plumbing inspection of your existing home, you should have a licensed Tampa plumber perform one, even if you’ve never had any plumbing issues. According to the National Association of Home Builders, the average home in Florida is over 20 years old. Just west of downtown St. Petersburg, Historic Kenwood has hundreds of homes that have the original plumbing in it. Your home too, most likely has the original plumbing, or it could just as easily show evidence of multiple repairs and many forms of “creative plumbing” dating back decades. Your plumber will give you a realistic assessment of the overall state of your system, and advise you if there are any areas that need immediate attention. An inspection by a licensed plumber could save you thousands of dollars and prevent severe plumbing disasters in the future.
When you live in a place long enough, you develop a sense for how your home smells and behaves under normal conditions. If you start to notice sluggish toilets, odd smells, variations in water pressure, or anything out of the ordinary, pay attention. Your house is trying to warn you that something is wrong. Minor annoyances can suddenly turn into expensive, emergency plumbing repairs. Don’t put off calling a licensed Tampa plumber when you notice changes in your plumbing system.
For most of us, our homes are our largest investment. Preventing plumbing problems is much easier and cheaper than dealing with plumbing emergencies. We here at Cass Plumbing can identify any areas of concern with your existing home, or one that you are interested in buying. Professional plumbing work performed by a licensed and insured Tampa plumber represents the best long-term value for you as a Tampa homeowner.
For all your Tampa plumbing needs, call the professionals at Cass Plumbing.